Re: What is the recommended way to handle squeeze-proposed-updates?

In <[🔎] BANLkTin7V3rEv_Zo95_2Cfrc8u=Fi96LwQ@mail.gmail.com>, Mark wrote:
>I had to add the squeeze-proposed-updates repos to my sources.list after
>learning about the intel 855gm bug in squeeze that requires a fix from the
>proposed updates section.  After apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, 13
>packages were updated/upgraded including apt.

Probably won't hurt, but stuff from s-p-u may or may not make it into the next
point release.  I think the official recommendation is that the developers
would love testing and feedback on packages in s-p-u, but that it shouldn't be
enabled all the time on a production system and, when you must get a package
from s-p-u, that you only install lit.

>Am I supposed to keep the
>proposed updates repos active in sources.list for the life of squeeze, or do
>something else?

I wouldn't.

>What if I comment it out now?

Run an update afterward and you should be fine.  Some of your packages will
have a newer version than is available on repositories configured for the
system, but APT has no problem resolving that.

>I want this to be a stable
>system.

You want the stable repositories, then.

Most people will also want the security repositories for stable, even if they
do not automatically install updates from it.

A majority of people will also want the stable-updates repository (the
replacement for volatile), it contains fairly important updates that are not
security-related, but do not fit into the point-release schedule.  For
examples: updates to tzdata, new SPAM rules / virus definitions, and updates
to IM software that speaks a proprietary protocol when the controller
incompatibly changes it.

Note that the "stable" vs. "unstable" in the names of Debian repositories
doesn't refer to lack-of-bugs but rather lack-of-changes.  Bugs that aren't
"release-critical" may exist in stable throughout it's life cycle, but it is
only updated for point-releases which are quite infrequent.  On the other side
of the coin, most of the software uploaded to unstable is considered release-
quality by upstream so, depending on the upstream, it may be relatively bug-
free and well-tested, but unstable is updated almost continuously so a system
using is can be under quite a lot of flux.