Re: What is the recommended way to handle squeeze-proposed-updates?

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:59:09PM -0700, evenso wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:15:33PM -0700, Mark wrote:
> >After apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, 13
> > packages were updated/upgraded including apt.  Am I supposed to keep the
> > proposed updates repos active in sources.list for the life of squeeze, or do
> > something else?  What if I comment it out now?  I want this to be a stable
> > system.  This is a brand new area for me so any help is appreciated.  Also,
> > after doing this, the bug in Squeeze is fixed, but after I boot into Windows
> > 7 on the dual-boot machine and reboot into Squeeze, it passes the Grub
> > splash screen and then some tests until it gets to the section dealing with
> > the drives/devices and completely freezes with blinking cursor and no
> > activity.  A hard shut down is required.  Anyone else experienced this?
> >

> Run
>
>  apt-cache policy
>
> If squeeze-proposed-updates is a priority of 100, it should update if
> necessary any of the packages installed without adding packages from that archive
> unless you manually install.

To clarify: 100 would only update packages specifically from that release if
there any squeeze-proposed-updates specific packages and if they are installed.

But I would guess that most squeeze-proposed-updates packages will show up
in squeeze eventually.

> If squeeze is a priority of 500, you might consider making squeeze your
> default in your /etc/apt/apt.conf file.
>
> As root:
>
>  echo 'APT::Default-Release "stable";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

That should give squeeze a priority of 990, which would insure squeeze
updates and security updates only to squeeze packages.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody