Re (2): So much for Skype.

From:	annathemermaid@hush.com
Date:	Thu, 19 May 2011 03:59:39 +0000
> The standard is PTSN.

Don't you mean PSTN?
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_switched_telephone_network

> ... home phone is usually cheaper ...

A few years ago when Shaw bought the cable service on Pender Island,
my Telus bill was about $28/mo.  Shaw offered 24/7 cable Internet
for $25/mo.  So the cost of Shaw cable plus SkypeIn and SkypeOut was
about the same as the cost of a Telus line.  The convenience and speed
of Internet access via cable modem rather than dialup put the balance
in favour of Shaw.  Telephone companies in Canada take good advantage
of their entrenchedness.

> ... leave your computer on all the time you want to be reachable ...

As with a telephone.  Unplug and it won't ring.

> ... runs up the electric bill ...

Use a handheld which consumes about as much power as a cordless phone.

> ... miss calls when you have it [computer] off ...

Diamondcard & SkypeIn & others provide voice messaging.

> Two choices ... left: Google Voice and SIP.

Is there an objection to SIP or to paying a gateway company such as
Diamondcard a few dollars/year?

Regards,              ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132.  bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca