Re: [SOLVED] evolution is in unusable state

On Tue, 17 May 2011 01:26:41 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> Folks, help is badly need here.
>
> 1. I have a fresh squeeze 64 bit install. While setting Evolution I've
> used "Restore from backup" option to restore all my data from Ubuntu
> Lucid. That seemed to work as expected. I get all my account settings
> and mail, as well as my 3 calendars.
>
> But now every single time I run Evolution it crashes with a message:"The
> Evolution calendar has quit unexpectedly. Your calendars will not be
> available until Evolution is restarted". It happens independently
> whether I interact with Evolution or not.
>
> I've been using Evolution in Ubuntu for 4 years and never had a single
> crash. And now I have it in absolutely unusable state. Ubuntu Lucid
> Evolution version is 2.28.3. Squeeze Evolution version is 2.30.3. I
> could expect to have some problems if I would import/restore some data
> from newer to older version but not vice versa. Am I wrong here?
>
> Any advise, please?
>
> 2. I would not mind to switch to Icedove if Evolution is not fixable.
> But this would require and extension similar to Lighting for
> Thunderbird. Is such extension available? What's it's name? How much
> beyond of current Mozilla Lighting it is in version?
>
> The problem is real show stopper for me.

I do like Evolution but this time I must say it did sucked quite a bit of
blood out of me. :-) I hope I've solved it though, since it has not
crashed on me in last couple of hours a single time.

I've found first shutting down all evolution services and then simply
copying corresponding backup files over a new ones suggested in hundreds
of copy-and-paste so to call how-to(s) produced no results at best.

Resolved the problem by manually importing all calendars, tasks, and
address books into Evolution using File->Import menu option one at a time.

The easiest part was to restore e-mails and their virtual folders tree.
This worked out simply by copying content of mail folder from backup to
current mail folder.

The most challenging part was to find a way to restore all e-mail
accounts settings in one step without resorting to configuring each of
them manually in Evolution from scratch.

Another challenge was to find how to export address books from Evolution
on my laptop first, in order to be able to import them into Evolution on
a desktop. This feature is unfortunately almost not documented. I was
lucky to find some mentioning of evolution-addressbook-export and its
basic usage on google.