Re: Squeeze boot takes 9 minutes; no sound and no 3D acceleration

On Tue, 17 May 2011 15:53:33 +0300, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:

> Yesterday I updated Lenny to Squeeze. Lenny was working very well, but
> now I have a few problems:
>
> 1) Booting takes 9 minutes to login screen. This seems to be because
> NIS, freshclam, MTA exim4 start before networking is up and thus take 1
> or 2 minutes to timeout. Also hald took a minute to start, I do not know
> why. I already added networking to nis Required-Start: line, but that
> does not seem to help.

(...)

For this you could start by disabling the parallel booting feature and
check if you get any gain:

2.1.4. Dependency booting
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#dependency-boot

If you still experience a slow booting, review your logs to find out
the culprit.

> 3) I have nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT] display card. Now 3D
> acceleration no longer works, I managed to fix the wrong symlinks
> probably caused by manually installed NVidia drivers 3 years ago. Now I
> use Debian packages, but programs that try to use libGL do not work:
> symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: undefined symbol: _nv000047gl

Closed drivers are always a headache.

As you are upgrading from an older versión you will have to deal with
this manually and apply high doses of patience :-)

What I would do? First, decide what driver to use becasue squeeze
integrates KMS and nouveau support out-of-the-box.

But if you prefer to keep the closed nvidia driveers you will also
have to decide what set to install: the ones from Debian non-free
repo or those provided by nvidia. In either case, I would first
completely uninstall any nvidia driver, package or kernel module
that was installed before and then boot with the VESA, FB or
nouveau driver. After that, proceed with the installation of the
selected VGA driver packages.

> I do not know what is wrong, but found others with similar problem and
> Debian bug report about this issue.

Maybe this? :-?

Greetings,

--