Re: Booting a USB hard drive [SOLVED]

On Friday, May 13, 2011 08:25:43 am Camaleón wrote:
<snip>
> If I were you, I'll proceed as follows:
>
> - Remove the laptop stock hard disk (just to prevent rewriting the MBR of
> the wrng device)
>
> - And then try a complete reinstall of GRUB (whatever version you prefer,
> you can first give a try to GRUB2 -boot the Debian installation CD and
> repair the bootloader- or install GRUB legacy from SDG -v.0.97xx-).
>
> If none of the attemps succeed and you still cannot boot your Debian
> installation, consider using Plop¹, another nice multi-system booter that
> does not depend on the BIOS settings/capabilities and seems to support
> GRUB/GRUB2 bootloaders.
>
> Finally, if all of the above fails, well, consider using the "WD My
> Passport Essential" USB disk as a paperweight... errr, I mean, as a
> backup storage unit O:-)
>
> ¹http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html#features
>
> P.S. It won't neither hurt that you look for any available firmware
> upgrade for you USB device or even for the BIOS of your computer. Also,
> contacting WD on this matter can make you lose a bit of time but it can't
> make any bad :-)

After all of the previous work, I decided that GRUB wasn't going to work.  I
tried Plop and it didn't work either.

I decided to use a separate USB device for the /boot partition and reinstall
Debian.  The "WD My Passport Essential" USB disk now holds a complete Debian
installation and I can run it without problems.

Camaleón, thank you for all of the help.

Peter