Re: M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 Realtek ALC892 - No sound(mostly)

On Mon, 16 May 2011 06:45:37 +1000, Adrian Levi wrote:

>> Are you sure the output jack is in the right socket? These multi-input/
>> ouput audio cards are going to get us crazy :-)
>
> I know, most of us only have 2 ears... (Yes it's in the right socket
> although i try the other non mic ones as well).

Very true :-)

With all this high definition audio interfaces around us, we almost have
forgotten how it sounded the old cassette tapes and how happy we were
with that "crusty" sound.

>> I would start for the easiest thing, that is, edit "/etc/modprobe/alsa-
>> base.conf" and add to the bottom:
>>
>> options snd-hda-intel model=asus
>
> I have tried a few of these but as I can mute and unmute the mic I
> thought I'd be closer than that, I can see all of the other channels in
> alsamixer, under gnome I can even switch between the SB and HDMI cards.
>
>> Then reload the alsa module to apply the changes.
>>
>> (available "model=" values can be retrieved from "/usr/share/doc/alsa-
>> base/driver/HDA-Audio-Models.txt.gz" so you can test with many options,
>> like "6stack-digout", "asus-dig2", etc...).
>
> Ok, in all of my playing with linux I haven't had to do much with
> modules (probubly just lucky) I tried root@gemini:~# modprobe -rv
> snd_hda_intel && modprobe -v snd_hda_intel FATAL: Module snd_hda_intel
> is in use.
>
> How to make the module not in use? I don't have any sound applications
> open, I also tried unloading the snd module with the same mesage.

Realoading the alsa module makes only sense if you modified something in
your "/etc/modprobe/alsa-base.conf" so the changes can be applied ;-)

Anyway, you can try with "alsa reload", instead.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón