Re: backports updates

On 2011-05-15 19:00:03 Robert Holtzman wrote:
>On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 02:47:30PM -0700, Freeman wrote:
>> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 02:05:29PM -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> > According to the backports instructions site in order to get updates in
>> > Lenny it's necessary to add pinning. There's another statement that
>> > this isn't required for Squeeze. Does Squeeze backports get updated
>> > along with the other repos via "apt-get update"?
>>
>> My squeeze-backports priority drops to 100 without pinning, while squeeze
>> is 990--apparently the /etc/apt/apt.conf Default-Release setting.
>>
>> I believe 990 is necessary to prioritize a package above an equal version
>> of the target release or the installed version.
>
>What about the statement on the backport instruction site to the effect
>that the pinning step is not required for Squeeze?

In Lenny and before, without pinning or default-release, the master archive
would be priority 500 and the backports archive would be priority 1.  At
priority 1 apt is willing to install the package, but will not upgrade to it.
This meant that, if a package was installed from backports, then backports
received a security update, the security update would not be installed through
an apt upgrade.

In Squeeze and after, without pinning or default-release, the master archive
will still be priority 500 and the backports archive will be priority 1.  At
priority 100, apt is will to both install and upgrade the package.  This means
that, if a package is installed from backports, then backports receives a
security update, the security update will be installed through an apt upgrade.

You can use (apt-cache policy $package) to determine versions and pinning for
a package.  It will look something like this:
aptitude:
  Installed: $inst_ver
  Candidate: $upgrade_ver
  Version table:
     $bpo_ver 0
        $bpo_pri http://127.0.0.1/debian-backports/ stable-backports/main
amd64 Packages
 *** $stbl_ver 0
        $stbl_pri http://127.0.0.1/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$bpo_pri is 1 in Lenny (and pre-) and 100 in Squeeze (and post).
$stbl_pri is 500 without default-release and 990 with.
If you are using pinning to change these, read and understand the appropriate
man page.

If $inst_ver is "(Not Installed)" or <= $stbl_ver then $upgrade_ver will be
the highest one of the ones with the highest priority.  That is, $stbl_ver in
both Lenny and Squeeze.

If $stbl_ver < $inst_ver <= $bpo_ver then $upgrade_ver will be $inst_ver in
Lenny (100 > 1) but it will be $bpo_ver (100 == 100) in Squeeze.

Full details of how the candidate is chosen is documented in the
apt_preferences(5) manpage.