SOLVED: Problem mounting USB stick after installing Squeeze in new netbook

I have just installed Squeeze in a new eMachines E350 netbook,
my first laptop, using the .iso image of CD-1 on a USB stick.
The install went perfectly, thank you very much to all the
developers.

A problem emerged today when I tried to transfer some files from
the desktop computer to the netbook using the USB stick, which
I had reformatted yesterday after the install.  Yesterday the
netbook attached the USB stick as sdc, and I was able to copy
a file from the netbook to the USB stick and then from the
USB stick to the desktop.  But today, probably several
reboots later, when I tried to use the USB stick to copy some
files from the desktop computer to the netbook, the netbook
for some reason attached the USB stick as sdb, and refused to
mount it, although it was visible in Places in Gnome.  Using
dmesg showed messages like:

UDF-fs: No VRS found

or

UDF-fs: No anchor found

which are apparently about an optical disk, even though the
netbook does not have an optical disk.

The solution is given in the last post in this thread:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-258700.html

For some reason, /etc/fstab lists /dev/sdb1 as /media/cdrom0.
I commented out that line, as suggested, and rebooted, and
can now use the USB stick to transfer files between the
netbook and the desktop computer.

I wondered if that unwanted entry in /etc/fstab might have
arisen from the fact that the installation was from a .iso
cd image on a USB stick, which perhaps might have been
attached as sdb during the installation.

Once again, thank you very much to all the developers for all
the hard work put into making such a great system.