Re: [help-a-newb] setting grub

On Sb, 16 apr 11, 12:35:05, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> Hmm, from my (limited) experience and a lot of d-u lurking I can think
> of two possible approaches to this:

("this" being multiple systems, possibly even different distros on the
same machine)

> 1. shared /boot
>
> Assuming other distros' grub works similarly as Debian's this would make
> sure that your boot menu always has an updated list of kernels. However,
> this does not solve the problem with the default kernel, because other
> distros seem to use the full version in the kernel name[1]

Today I actually went halfway through setting this up, when I realised
that it can't work with current update-grub (actually grub-mkconfig and
friends), because all kernels will get the 'root=...' of the *current*
system. I also can't think of a reasonable solution to submit as a
whishlist bug...

> 2. chain-loading
>
> Let each distro/install put it's own grub (or whatever bootloader) in
> the first sector of its own (boot) partition and have one "master" grub
> in the MBR with a minimal *static* grub.cfg. This would allow setting
> defaults like "Fedora" or "Debian squeeze" and let the chain-loaded
> bootloader deal with choosing the specific kernel you want.

This seems like the way to go if you want the full functionality of
grub-mkconfig.

If the "other" system doesn't have special requirements/goodies
configured via /etc/default/grub (like GRUB_GFX_PAYLOAD) the entries
added via os-prober are good enough in most cases.

Regards,
Andrei