Re: Routing vs. bridging; was Re (4): Linux hub

Hi, Peter:

En fecha Domingo, 15 de Mayo de 2011, peasthope@shaw.ca escribió:
> *	From: "Jes&#xFA;s M. Navarro" <jesus.navarro@undominio.net>
> *	Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 23:47:48 +0200
>
> > There's neither "carnot" nor "Allied Telesis 3612TR" in your provided
> > diagram so it's a bit difficult to follow you.  It would be better if
> > you provided a complete an up-to-date diagram.
>
> It's improved now.
>   http://carnot.yi.org/NetworksPage.html
> Ref. Extant Network & Proposed Network.
>
> > If all my previous assumptions are right, then you need to configure an
> > IP bridge between dalton's eth0 and eth1 [eth2 in the Proposed Network].
> >  That's all.
>
> What are the greatest advantages in bridging eth0 and eth1 rather
> than routing through Dalton to Carnot?  Bridging will need some
> additional software, bridge-utils; routing should be possible
> without adding software.

It's been a long time but, as far as I seem to remember, you wanted to offer
public services from behind dalton (I don't remember anymore why you wanted
dalton as a choke point, maybe something related to monitoring or VPNs).
Anyway, that's what bridges are for: to "patch together" to physical networks
into a single IP network.

For you "different IP networks" setup you will need to properly configure both
NAT and routing which it's a bit more difficult than bridging.

Cheers.