Re: Re (2): So much for Skype.

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 06:41:24PM -0800, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> From:	Chris Davies <chris-usenet@roaima.co.uk>
> Date:	Wed, 11 May 2011 21:10:29 +0100
> > My favourite software SIP client is twinkle.
>
> Yes, Twinkle keeps configurations and contact lists in plain text
> and is economical with resources.

Twinkle is the only softphone on Linux that I know of which supports
encryption.  (Last I looked into this was about a year ago, so things
may have changed).

> A POTS gateway is available from any of several companies.  Any
> phone number can be reached at vary small expense.  Who needs a
> POTS phone [flippantly]?

I've used diamondcard.us for calling POTS lines from Ekiga's SIP client.
Though I only used it a few times, I don't have any complaints.  Their
rates were better than Skype, too.  (I am a USA customer, making calls
within the USA).

-Rob