Re: Download onto CD failed to burn

Michael Selinger wrote:
Hello,

I'm interested in trying out Debian's OS. I downloaded from your website, which took a half hour even with a high speed cable connection. I then sent it on to my E-drive, to burn it onto a disc. After 17 mins., I forced a shutdown...log message "Burn failed." I'm at a loss. Never had a problem burning a cd or dvd on this unit.

Any suggestions? I would like to get away from relying on Windows, and try your
OS, as I heard it was superior.

Thanks,
Mike Selinger

Debian has a Windows installer, you can read about it here: http://www.goodbye-windows.com/ or go straight to the installer page and get the install started: http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

It will be easier to make a Linux partition and swap partition ahead of time before the install than worry about it while doing the install, just make a "GParted" http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php cd or put it on a flash-drive using "unetbootin" http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

If you are a totally new Linux user (Newbie) you may want to start with SimplyMEPIS-11.0 http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06664 based on Debian stable and comes with lots of important new user help and an easier way to get started using Debian.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Sid - AMD64 - EXT4 - KDE 4.5.3 at sda14
Registered Linux User #380263