Re: So much for Skype.

On 2011-05-11 5:05 PM, Γαβριήλ Τασιόπουλος wrote:
>> The problem with social software is that you need to support the
>> platforms non-technical users are using. That inevitably means Windows
>> and Macs.
>
> I use a mac and I'd like to think I'm a "technical user". Isolating
> Linux users from the rest of the computer users as more technical and
> specialized is one of the reasons clients for mainstream services are
> not developed for linux.

Perhaps, but the fact is I installed Debian on my parents PC when their
old XP install died (with install discs and keys nowhere to be found),
showed them how to use it, and what happened? My old man went out and
bought a laptop so he could use XP again. I failed with him. My mother
is fine with Linux though.

You can't deny that when it comes to home users, the majority of Linux
users are technical users, and the majority of Windows and Mac users are
not. There are always exceptions; some people's relatives like and can
deal with Linux (great!), and likewise, some techies like Macs, or
Windows. But the majority of Mac and Windows users are plain old
peck-typing email, web, and basic document editing users.

> I've not found a
>> decent SIP client yet, let alone a "normal" user with a SIP account to
>> call them with.
>
> I've been using Zoiper to setup remote Computer Based call centers
> over openvpn and it seems to work perfectly.

I personally use Sipgate for VoIP with a couple of technical friends
using my Nokia mobile phones as clients (because, as I say, I can find
no decent clients for Windows), but the point stands - unless I have
other users also using a protocol, it's not an option - hence my love of
the transport system XMPP employs.

- Jamie