Re: So much for Skype.

On 2011-05-11 4:23 PM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM, jeremy jozwik <jerjoz.forums@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:
>>> So Skype has been bought by Microsoft.
>>>
>>> I expect the Linux version of Skype to be abolished in short order. Oh
>>> well, thus the fate of proprietary software. I'm sure St. Ignucious is
>>> shaking his head with the inevitability of it all.
>>>
>>> This aught to re-ignite the effort to develop the alternatives.
>>>
>>> And if it doesn't, that will say more than any success could.
>>>
>>> Curt-
>>>

>>> --
>>
>> better download that latest linux version now.
>>
>> annoying, but it does work.
>
> Moving on to google talk...

Wish I could get more to do so...

The problem with social software is that you need to support the
platforms non-technical users are using. That inevitably means Windows
and Macs.

Problem is, there are no Windows clients AFAIK with decent Jingle video
support. Google, for some crazy reason, decided to put resources into
making a plugin for GMail rather than adding it to their GTalk client
software. Pidgin doesn't have video on Windows, and I've not found a
decent SIP client yet, let alone a "normal" user with a SIP account to
call them with.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see ubiquitous Jingle support, and
properly maintained XMPP transports for each proprietary network, with
Jingle support added to those if possible. A ubiquitous free solution
for NAT traversal would be nice too, so you get the same "just works
experience" that Skype offers.

- Jamie