Re: Booting a USB hard drive

On Wed, 11 May 2011 15:30:22 -0700, Peter Bonucci wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:04:48 pm Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> Okay, I've carefully read all of your tests, so let's recap:
>>
>> - SGD (1.98x) cannot detect the USB drive (¿?)
>> - SGD (0.99x) can detect the USB drive
>> - GRUB is installed into the MBR of the USB disk
>> - The Partition where GRUB is stored is marked as booteable
>>
>> I still don't know what is preventing the "true" GRUB (the installed
>> one) from booting but you can try to boot Debian directly with SDG (the
>> version that detects the disk, that is, v. 0.99x) and see what happens.
>>

> I agree with your recap.
>
> When I run SGD 0.9799,

Wait... I missed this.

SGD 0.9799 is only "GRUB legacy" aware, which means that can only deal
with GRUB legacy installations, AFAIK.

Did you installed GRUB 2 or GRUB legacy into the USB hard disk?

- If you installed GRUB legacy you have to use SGD 0.97xx to try to boot
from there

- If you installed GRUB 2 you have to use SDG 1.98xx

>   I select Boot & Tools /
>               Boot Master Boot Record (MBR) /
>               Boot Master Boot Record (MBR)
>     SGD lists two drives, (hd0), the laptop hard disk and (hd1) the USB
>     drive. I select (hd1) and SGD displays: "Error 25: Disk Read Error"
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(...)

I don't like that error :-/

***
25 : Disk read error
This error is returned if there is a disk read error when trying to probe
or read data from a particular disk.
***

But you can try with another menu option: "GNU/Linux → Boot GNU
Linux" (or Boot GNU Linux directly).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón