Re: Boot problem after crashed update

> I made a fresh install of debian squeeze just after its release and
> dutifully installed the updates suggested by the package manager
> whenever necessary.

What's the content of your sources.list?

> 2) The only thing that worked was switching between x (ctrl+alt+f7) and
>    the terminal (ctrl+alt+f1) but I couldn't log in to the terminal;
>    instead I got some error messages about init (or initsomething -
>    unfortunately I do not remember anymore) spawning to much and
>    something (it wasn't being clear what) being delayed/suppressed for 5
>    minutes.

The exact error message might have helped in identifying the issue.

> 4) When I booted the laptop at work, it crashed soon after grub, the
>    rror message being:
>
> udevd[58]: error: runtime directory '/run/udev' not writable, for
> now falling back to '/dev/.udev'

That looks like you are actually running testing or unstable. A similar
issue has hit my sid machein recently. Descriptions of the problem and
solutions have been discussed here.

> run-init: /sbin/init: No such file or directory

Ouch. Can you confirm that /sbin/init still exists on your root
filesystem? You mentioned that you have another distro on the same
machine, so you can use that to inspect the filesystem. I'd do an fsck,
too.

> 7) I then tried to run the rescue system from the debian installation
>    dvd:
>    - Executing a shell in /dev/sda3 (my root) fails without any
>      meaningful error message.

If it doesn't mean anything to you, it still may mean something to us.
:)

J.
--
Watching television is more hip than actually speaking to anyone.
[Agree]   [Disagree]