Re: Trying to reinstall exim4

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On 05/08/2011 07:55 PM, Carl Johnson wrote:
>>    I was trying out postfix but I was unable to get it working the way I
>> wanted, so I tried to purge postfix and reinstall exim4.  I used
>> aptitude to select postfix to purge and to install exim4, exim4-base,
>> exim4-config, and exim4-daemon-light.  It seems to accept the
>> selections, but when it actually tries to install it, it gives the error
>> message:
>>
>> E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'exim4'. Please see
>> man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)
>>
>>    I dropped the statement 'APT::Immediate-Configure "off";' into a file
>> in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d, but it still won't install exim4.  Does anybody
>> have any idea what I am doing wrong, and what I can do to install exim?
>> I am running this on a squeeze system.
>
> What *exact* command did you run?

I used the curses interface to aptitude, so I just told it to install
exim4 and remove postfix.  I just tried a command line equivalent as
follows:

# aptitude install postfix- exim4+ exim4-base+ exim4-config+ exim4-daemon-light+
  exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  postfix
0 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 1 to remove and 32 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/2,087 kB of archives. After unpacking 651 kB will be used.
E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'exim4'. Please see man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)

Thanks.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org