Re: Now cannot ping print server from second machine

On 20110507_123607, AG wrote:
> Hello (again)
>
> I don't know if this is related to the connectivity issues reported
> earlier, but now when trying to print from a second machine, I am
> unable to.
>
> The set up is my machine runs the CUPS print server and is directly
> connected to a USB printer.  I used to be able to print from the
> second (client?) machine, but since this issue following a
> problem-riddled reboot this is no longer possible.
>
> I have tried to ping the server machine (192.168.1.40) from the
> client machine (192.168.1.29) but cannot.  I have stopped all the
> firewalls (firestarter) on the *.*.*.40 machine and still no dice.
> The machines are still connected via a hub and that hasn't changed
> since before I rebooted.
>
> The client machine (*.*.*.29) can access the Internet via the same
> hub, but packets are being dropped when that machine tries to ping
> the server.  The server machine can now access the Net, and can ping
> the client machine.
>
> Any thoughts on what I should check out for?
>
> TIA

CUPS between two hosts on a LAN uses DHCP, I think. It follows that
your router is configured to offer local DHCP service and it gets
upset if it sees traffic on the LAN that is using addresses in its
managed block of IP numbers. This may be the source of your problems
with your computer having trouble keeping its network configuration.

Since you will need to have a functioning DHCP server to support CUPS
I think you should try a netinstall with DHCP assigning the IP for
the computer. Then telling the DHCP server in your router to assign
that host (probably identified by its MAC address) to a fixed IP,
rather than having it dynamically assigned.

Hope this helps.

It will take some heavy reasoning to come up with an argument that
explains all of your many problems on the basis of a router problem
alone. But it may clear up a few issues.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net