Re: Does "apt-get dist-upgrade" upgrade the kernel?

On 07/05/11 17:18, Camaleón wrote:
Hello,

I'm running wheezy and it's since weeks that I started wondering when a
new kernel will come to testing :-)

root@debian:~# cat /etc/issue
Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid \n \l

test@debian:~$ uname -r
2.6.32-5-686

Now (by purely chance) I realized that there is indeed a new kernel
available in the repositories so that this means it was me making some
kind of mistake.

root@debian:~# apt-cache search linux-image
(snip list of packages)
linux-image-2.6-686 - Linux 2.6 for modern PCs (meta-package)
linux-image-686 - Linux for modern PCs (meta-package)

I use to upgrade the machine with this command:

apt-get update&&  apt-get -V dist-upgrade

Should I have been using another one that automatically triggered the new
kernel? Or is that kernel needs to be manually pulled? :-?

Do you have the linux-image-686 package installed? (I see you're using the 686 version) This package is a dummy package that depends on the latest kernel, currently linux-image-2.6.38-2-686. If you do, then apt-get dist-upgrade will install the new kernel when available (but it won't remove your old kernel).

Regards

--
Dom