Re: Poll - What Smartphone do you use?

On May 5, 2011 11:19 PM, "Freeman" <hewho7@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 08:35:39PM -0700, giovanni_re wrote:
> >
> > =
> > So, today's poll is:
> >
> > What Smartphone do you use?
> >

> Android maybe just got a few points against it in my estimation.

Ya know, I see commercials when I surf the web, solicitations in my mailbox, and crap on the news. I try to scrutinize what I see as much as possible.

The point is that Google put Android out as an open source mobile operating system (great marketing). This is sorta true - there's an open source kernel and components. However, this ain't linux, bsd, xfree86 or anything else you might think of as floss.

It would be sorta dickish to say 'you don't have to use it' and sorta untrue (Android has most of the smartphone market in the us and soon the world, so you'll probably run into Android like Windows on a pc). Instead, I would advise that you look at your options. I moved from a flip phone to a palm to an iPhone to an Android. I never thought that any of them would be open. Maybe next I'll get a windows phone - that's as open as Android imo.

Ps - how is Android related to debian anyway?... just curious if this is still topical.

Pps - let the flames commence :)