Re: Cannot output to external monitor

On Sun, 01 May 2011 10:35:17 -0700, John Magolske wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting anything to output from my X40 ThinkPad to an
> external VGA monitor. Under X, `xrandr -q` outputs the following
> regardless of whether or not the external monitor is plugged in:
>    % xrandr -q
>   Screen 0: minimum 800 x 600, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
>   default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
>      1024x768        0.0*
>      800x600        61.0
> Pressing Fn+F7 and typing `xrandr --output VGA --auto` has no
> effect...the external monitor remains totally blank.

I've seen some reports related to problems with the VGA output in X40
ThinkPad notebooks:

xserver-xorg-video-intel: corruption on external VGA display

[i855gm] VGA out flickering after upgrade to lucid (regression)

After reading the bugs, it is still no clear (at least for me) if the
problem can be bypassed somehow (by installing an updated video driver/
xorg version/kernel) or still open/unsolved.

Sorry to be so fuzzy, maybe someone here can provide updated/accurate
data on the matter :-?