Re: nVidia with Optimus

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:50:52 +0530, Vivek Periaraj wrote:

I just bought a dell vostro 3750 and it has intel graphics and nVidia
525M. I am afraid it uses Optimus technology to switch between the two of them. I looked around and found that there is no support for Optimus in linux yet. And no promises of support in the future either.

(...)

Ugh... it does not look very promising:

Yep

Will NVIDIA Optimus Inevitably Come To Linux?
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTM3NA

It's surprising even nVidia is not able to support. The latest nVidia driver - 270.40.1 - says it supports 525M. I guess that means it's supported in a standalone mode albeit with Optimus.

The driver wouldn't even install on my machine. It just segfaults.

Unfortunately I am not able to use the latest xorg intel drivers (build from git repos) as well. I am getting 'no devices detected'. I guess I will have to wait for some more time.

Stuck with Vesa for now :(

You may also find useful this blog which seems to be updated with the
latest news on the matter:

http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the link.

I did install the latest nouveau, same 'no devices detected' message. I think it will take a long time for the open source driver to mature. But I don't mind testing their code.

Thanks,
Vivek.