Re: nVidia with Optimus

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:50:52 +0530, Vivek Periaraj wrote:

I just bought a dell vostro 3750 and it has intel graphics and nVidia
525M. I am afraid it uses Optimus technology to switch between the two of them. I looked around and found that there is no support for Optimus in linux yet. And no promises of support in the future either.

Ugh... it does not look very promising:

Will NVIDIA Optimus Inevitably Come To Linux?

It's surprising even nVidia is not able to support. The latest nVidia driver - 270.40.1 - says it supports 525M. I guess that means it's supported in a standalone mode albeit with Optimus.

The driver wouldn't even install on my machine. It just segfaults.

Unfortunately I am not able to use the latest xorg intel drivers (build from git repos) as well. I am getting 'no devices detected'. I guess I will have to wait for some more time.

Stuck with Vesa for now :(

You may also find useful this blog which seems to be updated with the
latest news on the matter:

Thanks for the link.

I did install the latest nouveau, same 'no devices detected' message. I think it will take a long time for the open source driver to mature. But I don't mind testing their code.