Re: Trouble entering composed characters

* 2011-04-29T09:14:55-04:00 * Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> I have trouble entering keyboard compositions in many, but not all
> applications. For example, when entering dead_iota + a (which I have
> configured to give adiaresis in ~/.XCompose) gnome terminal just beeps
> and does nothing.

I have noticed some GTK programs having this problem. They user
different input method by default. Try setting this environment
variable:

    $ export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim

Then start those problematic applications from the shell. If it works
you could set the variable in /etc/environment file or alternatively
install package "im-switch". Then run command

    $ im-switch

and select "Use xim (default-xim)" from the menu. The next X session
will have that input method (xim) enabled for GTK and QT applications.