Re: Ubuntu Crossgrade

On 04/25/2011 03:14 PM, Steven Rosenberg wrote:
> On 04/21/2011 03:14 AM, David Sanders wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> I'm just returning to Debian after a long absence over in Ubuntu land.
>> The upcoming train-crash that is the Unity UI, and some over-political

<--deleted-->

> I personally would never do this. Reinstall, I say.

Generally, I agree.  There are some things that could copy over,
specifically any locally compiled code, so long as libraries,
particularly glibc, match, and of course scripts and configuration files
(though you need to be careful with the config files).

I have moved, several times, between various distributions, for various
reasons, by backing up everything of interest (/home/*, /usr/local/*,
any files in /etc that I've modified, and so on), and restoring them as
a set under, for example /oldstuff, so I can test everything and copy
functioning stuff back in place easily.  Anything that doesn't work is
deleted.

There are simply too many interdependencies to trust a "hybrid" system.

--
Bob McGowan