Re: installer, software raid and grub

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 08:33:29PM +0100, Milos Negovanovic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ive just performed squeeze install on a server with 2 drives
> configured in RAID1. I followed closely installer messages and I don't
> remember seeing GRUB being installed on /dev/sdb. For a split second
> there was a message saying something about GRUB being installed on
> /dev/sda ... and thats it. Basically if / is on software raid (linux md
> raid) does installer install GRUB on all available hard drives? Do I
> need to install GRUB manually on /dev/sdb? Idea is that if one of the
> drives fail I can still use this system, which includes being able to
> boot from either of the drives.

Just dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc and select all the drives to boot from.

Note if you used gpt partition tables, grub will need a tiny boot
partition to install itself on (bios_grub).  Example from parted:

Number  Start      End         Size       File system  Name       Flags
 1      1.00MiB    5.00MiB     4.00MiB                 grub       bios_grub
 2      5.00MiB    953867MiB   953862MiB  btrfs        btrfsraid
 3      953867MiB  1907728MiB  953861MiB               mdraid     raid

All the main Linux partitions are then on LVM on the mdraid RAID1
device.  The other disc is partitioned identically.

Annoyingly, the installer partitioner is not currently intelligent
enough to set up the bios_grub partition by default, so you have to do
it my hand in parted.

Regards,
Roger

--