xmodmap settings are forgotten/lost during session

Hello,

after upgrading my Debian sid machine to the latest packages (see list
below according to dpkg.log) I lost my F19/F20 mapping done via xmodmap
for the Forward/Back keys of my notebook.

After investigation the issue I ran

 xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

on my settings manually and it worked, but after a while (since I don't
use those keys anywhere apart from the browser I don't quite tell how
much time passed) the keys stopped working again, also

 xmodmap -pke

didn't list the key mappings any longer. And this happens all the time,
I can set up the mappings, but after a while they're gone. Nothing
special seem to trigger this (not resuming from S3, for example), just
time passing long enough seems to make something on my system reset the
mappings.

I'm not sure what might be the culprit here, and I don't quite know how
to debug this (there's no way to listen to this kind of reconfiguration
event I guess?), does anybody here have an idea if the latest XFCE
updates might be the cause?

Cheers
Wolfgang

PS: the list of packages that got upgraded after which the problem
started showing up, most are probably completely unrelated:

audacity
audacity-data
binutils
bluez-hcidump