Re: debian hangs after grub

On 04/27/2011 04:50 PM, Mike Viau wrote:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:00:40 +0300<ibob17@yahoo.gr>  wrote:

On 04/26/2011 05:29 PM, Vangelis Katsikaros wrote:
Hello

I just installed debian 6.0.1.a amd64 with net install, with a clean
install (before I had 5).

The system goes to grub and when I select the non-recovery mode
(2.6.32-5-amd64), I get a cursor that doesn't blink and no action at
all. I waited about 5-6 mins (I thought it would be checking for a card
or something else) but nothing happened. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work.

Now, if I turn off and on the machine and:
- go to grub
- boot the recovery mode, and then at the root prompt I do a reboot
- go to grub
- boot the non recovery mode everything works fine and I get X and
everything.

I wonder how I can find what happens.

I have
- an lshw (from the debian 5 installation that's not there anymore) for
this machine http://pastebin.com/n7J8DWYZ
- the dmesg from the recovery mode is http://pastebin.com/UmtkYR5x

If you need any more info I can make it available.

Vangelis

PS the netinstall CD could not install with the simple installer or the
graphical one (again it hanged after selecting the install option) , so
I did the installation with expert install.

Hi again

I also installed an ubuntu on the same machine, the ubuntu works fine,
the debian issue still remains. So, I started playing with editing grub
commands.

In the debian non-recovery mode I removed from the grub command
linux /vmlinuz... root=... ro quiet
the "quiet" part

And then booting works fine. Does that make any sense?

Vangelis

PS In order to apply this change permanently I edited the
/etc/default/grub from
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

in the ubuntu (since it was the last to be installed)

Just a day or so ago I found a strange behaviour around kernel boot parmeters in Debian as well.

A little digression:

I have two computers (1x home server&  1x notebook) both running Debian Squeeze. One day I must have added panic=30 to both grub boot-loader configs and ran the update-grub command after on both. My laptop was restarted many times and booted flawlessly with the new change so I felt comfortable with leaving the 'panic' parameter on the home server as well. When I eventually got around to rebooting the server, it seemed that all of a sudden the home server stopped booting completely and just hung without any real kernel errors/messages being printed to the screen. Not initially thinking about the kernel parameter change made, I ran e2fsck the linux partitions, and even installed the 2.6.38-2 kernel from wheezy booting the system with the recovery entries from the grub boot menu that did not contain the panic option. Lastly I removed the panic=30 kernel parameter all together from the grub configuration and the server started booting again like normal.

Conclusion:

I came to learn about the 'panic' option after reading the kernel-parameters.txt file from the Linux kernel documentation [1]. I see that the quiet option is also a KNL (or kernel start-up parameter. I figured these options should just work and well it seems it does on some installations but not other :S

That's wierd I must admit... perhaps you could added the panic=30 parameter to your boot entry as a test just to see if it hangs in the same place as it did with the quiet parameter.

Hi Mike

I set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="panic=30" or GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet panic=30" it boots just fine

With GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet" it just hangs...