Re: Wireless via dhcp needs repeated ifdown/ifup

On 27 Apr 2011, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Ma, 26 apr 11, 16:11:40, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > I have this stanza in /etc/network/interfaces:
> >
> > auto eth1
> > iface eth1  inet dhcp
> > wireless-mode managed
> > wireless-essid 'My ESSID'
> >
> > At the end of booting, the system tries to connect to the wireless point
> > but after repeated attempts it reports that no DHCP offers are found.
> > I then do:
> >         sudo ifdown eth1 && sudo ifup eth1
> >
> > and the wirless link comes up at once.
>
> Anything interesting in the logs?
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Nothing in the logs apart from an entry saying the router doesn't do
IPV6.

Isc-dhcp-client was already installed automatically by Squeeze.

I tried wicd (and python-urwid), but although it could find the wireless
point it would not connect to it. I then had to purge obsessively
everything to do with wicd before I could connect with my standard
procedure.

So, in summary, there doesn't seem to be any obvious solution to this
puzzle, but I suppose I should at least be grateful that I can get
wireless to work even in this roundabout way.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk