Diagnosing lack of sound problem on HP laptop

Hi all,

I have installed squeeze (amd64) on a HP Compaq 6730s laptop and
currently the sound is not working. It works fine in when running
Vista of the other partition.

The sound chip is Intel:
$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)

$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | grep Codec
Codec: Analog Devices AD1984A

Looking around on the web I found instructions to try model options
from doc file HD-Audio-Models.txt.gz. I have tried adding  all the
combinations of options snd-hda-intel model=laptop, model=mobile .....
to the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf but nothing has changed.

The LinLatop website entry for the model also suggested the module
option of: 'options snd-hda-intel model=laptop enable=1 index=0' but
still no luck.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Regards,

Tim.