Re: Re^2: inconsistent reports from lpstat

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Wayne Topa <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/26/2011 11:17 AM, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>>
>> On 26 Apr 2011, Wayne Topa wrote:
>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> My /etc/printcap only lists a non-existing dot matrix printer
>>> and lpr works fine here.
>>>
>>> Try this
>>> ~# which lpr
>>> /usr/bin/lpr
>>> ~#dpkg -S /usr/bin/lpr
>>> cups-client: /usr/bin/lpr
>>>
>>> If cups-client is not shown then remove the lpr package and install
>>> the cups-client package.
>>>
>>> Don't know what else to suggest.
>>>
>>> Wayne
>
> REPLACE all mention of cups-client with cups-bsd above.
>>
>> Perhaps not what the OP wanted, but I find Cups a nightmare and always
>> use magicfilter. Very easy to configure and always works for me, with at
>> least 5 different printers.
>
> I to have an old testing partition that will not print with Cups.  It hasn't
> for about 3 years now.  I used magicfilter to get it working though.
>
> When Cups works it is great, it is working now on 3 partitions now, stable,
> stable upgraded to wheezy and stable upgraded to sid.  I also have the
> Magicfilter package for them, just in case.  ;-)
>
> Wayne

I'm pretty sure you need the cups-bsd package to get the BSD style
print commands.  As you said,

lp mytestfile

works but

lpr mytestfile

fails.

I usually only use command line printing if I'm testing new queues, so
something like

lp -d MyNewQueue /usr/share/cups/data/testprint

will give me what I need.  If you have not tried the web interface, I
highly recommend it.

I don't have the cups-bsd packages installed, so I can't speak much
about using the lpr commands with cups.  I haven't used magicfilter as
cups has worked well in my environment: samba with Windows and Apple
clients.

--
Matt