Re: installer preseeding - partitioning

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> wrote:
On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 18:27 +1200, Richard Hector wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a preseed file, with a partitioning recipe that I think is
> valid, but I'm having trouble getting past the partitioner with no
> interaction. Unfortunately the documentation is a bit lacking on how the
> various partman values interact.
>
> This is the partitioning section of my preseed.cfg so far:
>
> ## Partitioning ##
> d-i partman-auto/disk string /dev/sda
> # d-i partman-auto/method string my-recipe
> # d-i partman-auto/choose_recipe select my-recipe
> d-i partman-auto/expert_recipe string my-recipe :: \
>     10240 10240 -1 ext4 \
>     $primary{ } \
>     $bootable{ } \
>     method{ format } \
>     format{ } \
>     use_filesystem{ } \
>     filesystem{ ext4 } \
>     mountpoint{ / } . \
>  \
>     2048 2048 2560 linux-swap \
>     $primary{ } \
>     method{ swap } \
>     format{ } .
>
> d-i partman/confirm_write_new_label boolean true
> d-i partman/choose_partition \
>   select Finish partitioning and write changes to disk
> d-i partman/confirm boolean true

This is my preseed (from Lucid):

d-i partman-auto/disk string /dev/sda
d-i partman-auto/method string regular
d-i partman-auto/expert_recipe string physics-workstation :: \
    200 20000 250 ext4 \
    $primary{ } \
    $bootable{ } \
    method{ format } \
    format{ } \
    use_filesystem{ } \
    filesystem{ ext4 } \
    mountpoint{ /boot } . \
    25000 20000 29000 ext4 \
    method{ format } \
    format{ } \
    use_filesystem{ } \
    filesystem{ ext4 } \
    mountpoint{ /usr/local } . \
    3000 20000 6000 ext4 \
    method{ format } \
    format{ } \
    use_filesystem{ } \
    filesystem{ ext4 } \
    mountpoint{ /tmp } . \
    18000 18000 21000 ext4 \
    method{ format } \
    format{ } \
    use_filesystem{ } \
    filesystem{ ext4 } \
    mountpoint{ / } . \
    1000 20000 300% linux-swap \
    method{ swap } \
    format{ } . \
    1000 10000 1000000000 ext4 \
    method{ format } \
    format{ } \
    use_filesystem{ } \
    filesystem{ ext4 } \
    mountpoint{ /scratch } .

d-i partman/confirm_write_new_label boolean true
d-i partman/choose_partition        select  Finish partitioning and write changes to disk
d-i partman/confirm         boolean true
d-i partman-partitioning/confirm_copy   boolean true
d-i partman/confirm_new_label       boolean true

I think what you are missing is the d-i partman-auto/method string regular line - from the example:

# The presently available methods are: "regular", "lvm" and "crypto"
d-i partman-auto/method string regular

I also think there's a mistake in your formatting of the partition sizes. The format (as I know it) is

200 20000 250 ext4 \

Which is min_size priority max_size

I think it is also getting confused about the -1 in your / partition....

Sean