Libtrash: Have any of you successfully activated it?

Installing Libtrash from Synaptic is easy enough.  However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to activate it.

>From http://www.techrepublic.com/article/safely-delete-linux-files-with-libtrash/5034918 , I'm supposed to add the following code (had to use a different file for the LD_PRELOAD command) to /etc/profile:

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libtrash/libtrash.so.2.4
alias trashon=”export TRASH_OFF=NO”
alias trashoff=”export TRASH_OFF=YES”

But entering "trashon" in the command line didn't work.

Adding that code to /home/(username)/.bashrc didn't work either.

Has ANYONE successfully implemented libtrash?

If libtrash is inherently ineffective, what are some lightweight alternatives I should use?

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>