Re: Monitors requiring interlaced video modes with older Nvidia video cards are out of options in wheezy

On 04/23/2011 04:57 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
I thought this would probably happen eventually.  And it did.

I use an Nvidia video card with a RIVA TNT2 chipset.  My CRT monitor,
an IBM G51, has a maximum pixel clock rate of 70 MHz.  In order
to get 1024x768 resolution out of this monitor I must use an
interlaced video mode.  (There is a 1024x768@60 non-interlaced mode,
but the flicker level is unacceptable.)  I run wheezy.  And I am now
officially out of supported options for the X server.

I can't use the nouveau driver because the nouveau driver doesn't work
with interlaced video modes.  I filed a bug report a good while ago.  See

No response.

[blah blah]

I really did try hard to make nouveau work for me, but it just doesn't.

Bit rot is a sad, sad thing. Move to Slackware, DFS, Gentoo, go back to Lenny or buy a slightly less trailing edge video card.

I know you don't have PCIe on your mobo, but the $34 (zero $ shipping) GeForce 210 (fanless!) that I recently ponied up for to replace my 7300 decodes everything that I've thrown at it, as opposed to having the CPU grind away.

Moral of the anecdote: sometimes it's good to upgrade to less trailing edge kit even though the old h/w still powers up.

corrupt."