Re: howto unplug a device?

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 13:01:47 -0400, shawn wilson wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 18:15:53 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
>>
>>> is there a way, to unplug a device by software or a command? I wanna
>>> unplug and plugin a device (it is a built in modem), if it crashes. At
>>> the moment, i have to reboot, each time it hangs.
>>
>> I dunno if an internal/embedded modem can be unpluggled without power
>> cycling the machine but if the modem gets "stuck" you can try to
>> "initilize" the device by using minicom settings or just sending the
>> "ATZ" string to the modem ("echo ATZ > /dev/modem" or "echo ATZ > /dev/
>> ttyxx").
>>

> i remember some instances where the modem would freeze so that an atz
> wouldn't work on it. this is why i used to always buy external modems.

Sure, and even external modems get so badly frozen that you also have to
restart the machine in order to return it to life ;-)

(...)

> my suggestion, buy an external modem. i have no idea how much they cost,
> but i couldn't immagine them costing more than $15. also, external
> modems are smarter because if there is a surge, your computer is less
> likely to fry.

RS-232 based modems work very well under linux (no driver required and
minimal hangs) but they are expensive and the old serial port is starting
to disappear from motherboards (forget about it on notebooks unless you
use a converter). USB based ones can be an option but USB port is more
prone to problems and locks. There also PCI/ISA based ones and lastly,
those embedded (the worst). But sometimes the user has to stick with the
worst of the options and work with that ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón