Re: kernel 2.6.38 on Lenny

On 23/04/2011 16:18, Jim Brooks wrote:
I manually compiled the official/stock kernel 2.6.38.
But the (SATA) disk drives were remapped from sda/sdb to sde/sdf
Apparently USB and memory card ports became sd[abcd].
How the Linux kernel be told to map real disk drives to sda/sdb
Hi,
I think you don't have to care about the device assignement in /dev/sdxy.
Instead, you should (in your /etc/fstab file) use LABEL or UUID to point to your partitions, e.g.:

UUID=ff7ffdb3-5abb-426c-bb14-42be0b80c24a /boot ext3 defaults 0 2

Visit the content of directories
    /dev/disk/by-label
    /dev/disk/by-uuid
to learn more about them.

Note that it may be still useful to know how to name your partitions using /dev/sdxy notation (for fdisk, parted, etc.).

Nicolas

PS: I think Debian Squeeze upgrade/install is running a command that automatically replaces the /device/names by UUID in fstab. I can't find it right know, anyone can tell us its name?