Re: Isapnp.conf

David Baron put forth on 4/21/2011 3:36 AM:
> Isapnp startup script no longer works. The READPORT fails to read the isapnp
> port number due to "resource conflict."
>
> (READPORT 0x0213)
>
> Only a limited range can be entered here and the one I placed was shown on the
> /proc/ioports file. There are two, the one labeled as "write" is outside the
> allowed range.
>
> ~$ cat /proc/ioports | grep -i pnp
>   0213-0213 : ISAPnP
>   0400-04bf : pnp 00:08
>   04d0-04d1 : pnp 00:01
>   0800-087f : pnp 00:01
>   0880-088f : pnp 00:01
>   0a79-0a79 : isapnp write
>
> The card in question may or may not be defective at this point but the only
> initialization being done is by BIOS. (Further?) initialization used to be
> done by isapnp.
>
> Any fix here? Is this all not needed or deprecated?
>
> (The card in question is an older ISA analog telephone modem. So far, no PCI
> modem, at least the older ones I have around, is recognized by the system. I
> am running Sid on a P4 on one of the few remaining MBs that has ISA.)

I never cared for internal soft modems, especially PCI soft modems.  Too
many problems.  I always used an external serial modem--universal
compatibility no matter what PC/OS you plug it into.  I've not used a
POTS modem for a decade, but I'd bet things haven't changed WRT internal
soft modem headaches.

Does the P4 box in question have an RS232 port?  If so ~$30 buys you a
brand new 56k external fax modem:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825134002

If you don't have a serial port, a USB modem would probably be better
than an internal soft modem, especially an ISA PNP card.  This Rosewill
USB 56k modem gets great reviews with Linux, only $20:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825164005

--
Stan