X EDID reads fail after recent sid update

Hello.

I recently upgraded my sid box with a Gforce 8600.  Following a reboot
the binary nvidia drivers would only give me a screen resolution so
small it was unusable and nouveau failed to find any usable resolutions
at all.  Analysis of recent X logs indicated that in the case of both
drivers, EDID reads were failing, providing X with no data.  When
testing with a GRML live CD, EDID data was returned using nouveau, so
this isn't a hardware problem.

Since the problem occurs with both nvidia drivers, it's not a driver
problem.  Since EDID reads work properly with the GRML live CD it's not
a hardware problem.  I don't think any X packages have been upgraded at
all since the last boot that could have caused the problem.  I'm at a
loss as to where the problem is coming from.

Any guesses?

Joe Neal.