Re: [OT] Purchasing a wired switch; advice needed

Dom put forth on 4/20/2011 1:25 PM:

> I run Smoothwall on an old Athlon (K6) system that I was given. I

The K7 is the original Athlon.  The K6 series chips had no marketing
name other than "K6", i.e. K6, K6-2, K6-2+, K6-3, K6-3+, etc.

> The only issue I have is that the latest upgrade to Smoothwall Express
> (the free version) no longer supports this CPU. When I tried to update
> it I had to reinstall from the original CD, restore my settings and
> apply all updates apart from the latest one.

TTBOMK Smoothwall Express uses generic i386 kernel and user space
binaries when should run fine on any CPU all the back to the Pentium
Pro, at minimum, and possibly all the way back to the 80386.  That's
what the documentation states.  An update should not have failed due to
your system having a K6 chip.  Any i386 and high 32 bit CPU is
supported.  Is it possible you selected the 64bit binary for the
upgrade, and that's what hosed your system?

--
Stan