Re: [OT] Purchasing a wired switch; advice needed

On 04/20/2011 06:08 AM, Klistvud wrote:
[snip]

What I had in mind is something like this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6823201_use-switch-hub-instead-router.html .
Unfortunately, there are many posts on the Internet affirming that such
a configuration can't and won't work, because a switch can't give out
two IP's if your ISP just gives you one. So, in doubt, I turned to this
list for advice. I don't want to buy a switch (or the wrong switch) only
to discover that it won't work in that configuration.

As others have mentioned, this is the sticky wicket, and why you *do* need a router. (Unless your broadband modem is also a router.)

An old PC running Smoothwall will give your a "router" with enough horsepower to handle the situation you describe.

corrupt."