Re: Why does Linux crash?

On 04/19/2011 09:57 PM, Borden Rhodes wrote:
Good evening,

I do mean this earnestly and, despite my frustration, I am not trying
to flame the good people of Debian, GNU or Linux.  Nevertheless, I
have to ask: why is it that in 2011, the world's greatest operating
system lets Eclipse seize control of my computer, eat up 2 GB of RAM,
monopolise a 2.2 GHz, dual-core processor and flood my hard drive with
I/O?  I thought that a computer capable of processing over 4 billion
operations a second could sort itself out in 20 minutes but, alas, I
had to yank the power.

I'd run top(1) in a terminal window, with the window set to "always on top" and watch what happens when you do whatever you do which causes Eclipse to consume all resources.

corrupt."