Re: best practice to use newer cpan modules on squeeze

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 19.04.2011, 23:55 -0400 schrieb Jim Green:
> what should be the best practice here right now? I use cpan command to
> install some modules that are not available in debian. but how about
> those not up-to-date ones?

I'm using CPAN at work and at home whenever a module is required with a
higher version number and if I do not have the time to package it.

They all get installed in /usr/local/lib/perl/5.x.x/.  Thus if you still
have a deb version installed, then Perl will use the newer version from
CPAN.  The good thing is, that it's the way you'd probably expect it to
be, but the bad thing is, that some Debian Perl programs which expect
version x.y.z might break.  I never had such a case yet though.

For example the JSON module once changed some function names.

The best way to go is to create a deb package for the module though.  It
takes a little more work, but a lot of people will benefit from it.

For development and testing I tend to have a local CPAN installation
directory ~/perl5.  CPAN can be tweaked to install all it's modules in
that users home directory, if run with that user.

Then I do not need to have root privileges to install and remove CPAN
modules and these modules are installed only for that user.

Have a look at local::lib
<http://search.cpan.org/~apeiron/local-lib-1.008004/lib/local/lib.pm>.
It's alos available as a deb (liblocal-lib-perl).

Regards,
Adris