Re: Squeeze: Fan control

Hoang Le put forth on 4/18/2011 9:55 PM:
> Dear Stan,
>
> Unfortuntately, my PC don't have an option to control fan speed in BIOS.
> Just one option: "Fan always on on AC power". This machine run really
> quietly. Is there anyway to check the fan speed from Linux?

I just realized after re-reading your original post that you're running
Compiz.  Doing so will keep your GPU hot most of the time, which is why
you feel heat under your hands.  You're also decreasing battery life
substantially by running Compiz when on battery.

If you use your laptop primarily while plugged into wall power, enable
the setting in the BIOS, if it's not already enabled.  That will fix the
heat problem.  If it's already enabled, and still running hot, contact
HP as there may be a problem.

WRT checking/changing fan speed in Linux, fancontrol is the daemon to
due it.  Did you manually configure fancontrol after installing it?  Did
you install lm-sensors and configure it?

--
Stan