Re: Squeeze: Fan control

Dear Stan,

Unfortuntately, my PC don't have an option to control fan speed in BIOS. Just one option: "Fan always on on AC power". This machine run really quietly. Is there anyway to check the fan speed from Linux?

Thank you
Hoang Le

If you have the option of putting temp/fan speed under BIOS control
instead of operating system control, I'd do so, always.

Putting such things under software control is one of the dumbest things
this industry ever did.  Using a simple hardware only solution is the
only smart way to do thermal control, for a whole host of reasons.

If you look at the enterprise hardware space (servers, storage arrays,
switches, routers, etc), NOBODY does thermal control in host OS
software.  It's all done with dedicated hardware controllers.

Which makes one wonder why they do this in host software in the consumer
space.  I think the answer is two words:  bells whistles

I'm not a "pet peeve" person.  If I were, doing temp/fan control in host
software would be a pet peeve of mine.

--
Stan