Re: arbitrary disk name assignment affects dump/restore

On Sb, 16 apr 11, 15:00:39, Dean Allen Provins, P. Geoph. wrote:

> This means that I must NOT rely on my automatic (crontab-based) dump
> scripts, but interrogate the system manually, and if necessary, alter
> /var/lib/dumpdates so that the script will run properly.

No, just adapt your script to use whatever symlink you like in one of:

/dev/disk/by-id/
/dev/disk/by-label/ # assuming you defined labels
/dev/disk/by-path/
/dev/disk/by-uuid/

I prefer labels since they can be set to something meaningful/mnemonic.

> This is a REAL PAIN.

Yes and no. On one hand it is a change in behaviour, OTOH, relying on
the specific order in which devices are seen by the kernel just asks for
trouble. You only need consider removable drives.

> Is it possible that /etc/fstab, which now identifies the partitions on my
> single fixed disc via UUID labels, is an unwilling participant in this
> confusion?

No

> Should I alter /dev/fstab to indicate the partitions as it was done before
> (i.e. /dev/sda1 is /, /dev/sda3 is /home etc.)?

This is likely to make your system un-bootable.

Regards,
Andrei