Re: problem with apt-get install AND apt-get upgrade

In <[🔎] 1393449085.44289.1302886728608.JavaMail.fmail@mwmweb037>, Christian Jakob
wrote:
>>You've pinned all your available repositories to a negative value. APT
>>refuses to install any package with a negative priority, which is why none
>>of  your packages have installation candidates.
>>
>>Check /etc/apt/preferences and /etc/apt/preferences.d/*; you've got at
>>least  on stanza wrong in them. (man 5 apt_preferences) for the available
>>documentation.
>
>Wow, I changed values in /etc/apt/preferences to 501 and voila:
>

>There is only one question left:
>Why did this happen? What could I have done, that these values changed to
>-1?

I don't know any tool that edits that file.  I always edit it with (sudo -e
/etc/apt/preferences).  So, my assumption is that you made the change
yourself, perhaps without knowing the results.