Re: problem with apt-get install AND apt-get upgrade

TO: scot..................................

>Um, fsck did what?

First there came a WARNING: sd2 is mounted ... blabla
Then something like this:

/dev/sda2: recovering journal
/dev/sda2: clean, ... files, ... blocks

For me this looked like fsck didn't do anything...
But, I think there is no hardware problem, so forget it!

>Did it simply optimise directories - or did the file system need repairing?
>Did it test the ability of the drive to retain data - find some sections
>where failing and add them to the list of bad sectors?

No nothing (see above), only this 2 lines as output.

>> root@debian # dpkg -l | grep aptitude
>> root@debian # apt-get install aptitude
><snipped and translated>
>Reading package lists ... Finish
>Building dependency tree
>Reading state information ... Finish
>aptitude package is not available, but from another
>package referenced. This may mean that the package is missing, that obsolete
>or is only available from another source.
>E: aptitude package has no installation candidate
>

>> What the hell ...?
>
>Sounds like you've been mixing repositories....

Normally I used aptitude to install or upgrade packages, then I decided to
remove aptitude, only for testing, if apt-cache remove works ... and it works ;)
At the moment, I first have to solve the apt problem before install aptitude again...

>I'm not sure why you are trying to install/remove apt, when you already
>have it installed, and the original problem was being unable to install
>*scons*

No, the original problem was install problems with apt in general (see topic).
scons was only an example...
Ok, for everyone again: I can not install anything with apt, but I can install everthing with dpkg -i. ok?

>The progam "apt" is installed, and appears to work properly - the
>information it gives you when you asked it to install scons, was wrong.

No, apperently it works not properly, because I can NOT install ANYTHING with apt.
With EVERY package, that is not installed on my machine, there is the same message:

root@debian # apt-get install ANYTHING
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package htop is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
E: Package htop has no installation candidate

(with ANYTHING I mean any package, that is not installed yet on my machine)

I hope this is clear now. Maybe I did not convey this fact exactly. Sorry for that.

TO: boyd stephen..........................

>What does (apt-cache policy) and (apt-cache policy aptitude) show?

root@debian # apt-cache policy
Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
  release a=now
  -1 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/contrib Packages
  release v=5.0,o=Debian,a=oldstable,l=Debian-Security,c=contrib
  origin security.debian.org
  -1 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages
  release v=5.0,o=Debian,a=oldstable,l=Debian-Security,c=main
  origin security.debian.org
  -1 http://ftp.de.debian.org lenny/contrib Packages
  release v=5.0.8,o=Debian,a=oldstable,l=Debian,c=contrib
  origin ftp.de.debian.org
  -1 http://ftp.de.debian.org lenny/main Packages
  release v=5.0.8,o=Debian,a=oldstable,l=Debian,c=main
  origin ftp.de.debian.org
Pinned packages:
  flashplugin-nonfree -> (not found)
root@debian # apt-cache policy aptitude
aptitude:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: (none)
  Version table:
  0.4.11.11-1~lenny1 0
  -1 http://ftp.de.debian.org lenny/main Packages

>Can you also post the output of (apt-get install aptitude) non-i18n-ized?

If you tell me how to do this, then YES.

Regards,

Christian.

Schon gehört? WEB.DE hat einen genialen Phishing-Filter in die
Toolbar eingebaut! http://produkte.web.de/go/toolbar