Re: New to Linux

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 1:26 AM, Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/12/11 09:15, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>>
>> --- On Tue, 4/12/11, rishabh animesh<rishabh.animesh@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I am new to Linux and Debian. Whats the best way to start on things?
>>> Currently I'm a Computer Science student and have experience only with
>>> algorithms! Comfortable with C/C++ but willing to learn more to help me
>>> get started with the OS mentioned above!
>>
>> The best way?  Buy a non-distro specific text on Linux, first, to
>
>> establish a good foundation for additional learning.  Don't waste your
>> time searching the web for information.  There is a lot of stuff out
>> there,
>> and it will just overwhelm and confuse you.  I suggest RUNNING LINUX
>> (O'Reilly, pub.).  I think the most current is the 5th edition, which
>> although is 5 years old is still a good place to start.  I have the 3rd
>> Edition which is 12 years old and I still use it as a reference.  It was
>> the first Linux book I purchased.
>
> That was my first Linux book, as well.  But mine is the 2nd Edition,
> copyright 1996.

well, if you're going to drop $$ on a computer book, i would
definitely go with o'reilly. however, my point is that there is *so*
much documentation on the net, i'd read that first and then think
about whether you need a book. ie, i got the 'perl cookbook' because i
kept finding examples online that were cited from that book. also,
i've checked 'running linux' at least 4 times from libraries over the
years :)

as a student, if you're thinking about another book that costs half as
much as o'reilly, think hard - it generally isn't worth it.
if you want an excellent example of the great documentation that i
would probably pay for if it weren't free:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/ <-- is one of the
reading on the net (not specific to linux or anything really but just
great stuff).