Re: error installing kernel-image

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 04:40:38 -0400 (EDT), Hans Jespersen wrote:
> While upgrading from lenny to squeeze, i followed the installation
> notes to the point where I install the new kernel image:
>
> apt-get install linux-image-2.6-686
>
> then I get the following error:
> Running depmod.
> Running /usr/sbin/yaird.
> yaird error: Unknown option: k
> (fatal)
> /usr/sbin/yaird failed to create initrd image.
> Failed to create initrd image.
>
> ... and the installation halts
>
> I have tried removing the half installation with
>
> dpkg -P linux-image-2.6.32-5-686
> and
> dpkg -P linux-image-2.6-686
> and tried apt-get install again, but with the same result.
>
> I am really lost here, as I am stuck with a half-upgraded system.
>
> Any help will be appreciated

yaird is not supported in Squeeze.  Purge the package and install
initramfs-tools instead.  Then try again.  If you still get the
failure, search /etc/kernel/postinst.d and /etc/kernel/postrm.d
for yaird-related scripts that didn't get purged when you purged
the yaird package.  If you find any, erase (rm) them.  Also check
/etc/initramfs/post-update.d for any yaird-related scripts and
erase them from there too.  Then try again.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :