[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: iceowl-extension 1.0b2 not compatible with icedove 3.0.11

On 04/13/2011 09:34 AM, Johan Grönqvist wrote:
2011-04-13 13:48, Gilbert Sullivan skrev:
This morning these upgrades (excerpted from the aptitude log)

[UPGRADE] iceowl-extension 1.0~b1+dfsg2-2 -> 1.0~b2-4

I can has my calendar back???

AIUI, iceowl 1.0b1 works with icedove 3.0 and iceowl 1.0b2 works with
icedove 3.1. I solved the same problem today by upgrading icedove to the
3.1 version in unstable. I assume you could also solve it by downgrading
iceowl to the 1.0b1 version from snapshot.debian.org.

/ johan

Thanks. Both of those look like practical approaches.

I've been rolling along for a couple of years in testing just taking the upgrades as they come. So far, I've come across of few of these situations where upgrades for one package don't coincide properly with upgrades for another package, and a temporary loss of some functionality or another occurs as a result.

So far, just out of stubbornness and the desire to see how well and how quickly the package maintainers will work out the problems, I've resisted the temptation to "stray" away from simply using the testing repositories.

I suppose temporarily enabling the unstable repository and upgrading icedove is likely to be the course that deviates least from my preferences. I'll probably hold out a couple of days. If, by that time, icedove hasn't been upgraded in testing, I'll probably upgrade to 3.1.

At least this time around isn't as problematic as some of the gotchas I've seen this year with kernel mode setting and Xorg changes on the systems that have Nvidia and Intel graphics subsystems. But those could be temporarily worked around with configuration changes and without resorting to outside repositories.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Best regards,

Reply to: